Vance County Animal Shelter


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How much does it cost to adopt a pet?

  • Dogs = $__
  • Cats = $__
  • (Other?) = $__

What is covered in the adoption fee for cats and dogs?

Dog adoption fees include low-cost spay/neuter surgery, vaccines, de-worming, and a heartworm test.

Cat adoption fees include low-cost spay/neuter surgery, vaccines, de-worming, and the FIV/FeLV test. 

NOTE:  If the animal is under the age of 4 months at the time of adoption, it will be considered too young to receive its rabies vaccination. The adopter can return with the pet once it reaches four months of age to receive its rabies inoculation. All dogs and cats must be vaccinated for rabies by 4 months of age as required by law. 

What if the animal is too small or sick to have its spay or neuter surgery?


What is the adoption process?

The shelter requires that you be at least 18 years of age and provide identification, such as a driver's license. VISA and MasterCard, in addition to cash and checks, are accepted forms of payment. There are two adoption scenarios listed below.

Scenario 1 – The animal is already spayed or neutered. Simply pay the adoption fee and take the animal home on the same day.

Scenario 2 – The animal has not been spayed or neutered and is old enough and weighs enough for surgery. Put a deposit on the animal and we will schedule it for surgery. While the surgery slots often fill up quickly, we make every effort to schedule the surgery within a few days of the adoption date. Once the animal has surgery, you may pay the balance of the adoption fee and take it home. Note: In some cases, the animal may be too small or an illness prevents it from having the surgery. If that occurs, we will offer you the option of 1) refunding your deposit or 2) transferring your deposit to another animal or 3) keep your deposit on that pet until it is cleared by a WCAC Veterinarian. 

Where can I take my animal for a low-cost spay or neuter?

The Vance County Animal Shelter offers a free spay and neuter program to low income households.  For more information, contact the shelter at 252-492-3136.

I adopted my animal from the shelter and want to bring it in for its booster shots.

Unfortunately, the shelter only provides care for animals in the shelter. Once the animal is adopted, you will need to bring your new pet to your veterinarian for additional care and its booster shots.

My animal needs a rabies shot. Where can I get a low-cost rabies vaccination?

Vance County offers rabies clinics in various locations. Check the events page for information on upcoming clinics. They provide rabies vaccinations for $__ at these clinics.

I lost my pet. What do I do?


If my lost pet is at the shelter, do I have to pay any fees?

Reclaim fees and boarding fees will apply.  There may also be a citation fee assessed. 

I found an animal. What do I do?

Get out in the neighborhood where you found the pet and ask people in the community if they know where the animal lives.
If you are unable to keep the animal for any length of time, you may surrender it to the shelter during office hours at no cost to you.

What are your requirements for turning in a stray or surrendering my animal?

First, we encourage you to review some options prior to surrendering your animal. If you've made a decision to bring your animal to the shelter, please bring your driver's license or other form of identification and some proof that you own the animal. North Carolina State law requires proof of ownership when surrendering an animal to the shelter. If the animal is a stray, the animal will be held for 72 hours at the shelter prior to being made available for adoption, reclaim or euthanasia. There is no fee. You can bring the animal in during the Center's office hours.

Are there any volunteer opportunities at the shelter?


*Disclaimer: This website is not an official Vance County government site but is volunteer-run with the purpose of tracking the progress made by staff and volunteers to better the lives of animals in Vance County, North Carolina. The words expressed within in no way reflect those of Vance County personnel.*